Sunday, October 26, 2008

Post #3

Maybe I've had too much time on my hands today...or maybe I just haven't blogged in a while. Regardless of the reason, here is post #3!

After Krista mentioned "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult, I had to read it. I loved "My Sister's Keeper," but hadn't read anything else by the author. I picked up "Plain Truth" at the library and really enjoyed the read. Though it did contain a few foul words, the book was well worth the read. Entertaining and easy, just what I needed as I ticked away the minutes on the elliptical. Picoult gave a vivid description of the Amish community, and dispelled many of the myths I had previously held about the Plain people. It is truly a fascinating culture, one which defies the selfishness and pride of our nation. If for no other reason, the book is worth the read to learn about the Amish community of Lancaster County. In true Picoult style, there was a major twist in the novel. This time, however, Picoult saved the "ohmygoodness" moment for the very last page of the book. Something about that is just not right!!!!

After this light read, I feel like I could use a really deep, need-a-dictionary novel. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to burst your bubble, but pretty soon, your deep, need a dictionary books are going to include "Pat the Bunny." I'm not a help, I have to get through books fast and with little brain power used, so I stick to Jodi Piccoult and the like! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm getting ready to start "Wives and Daughters" soon by Elizabeth Gaskell. A big fat victorian read. I'm still lovin' P. D. James mysteries too. Not light reading for sure. And I'm reading "In Trouble and In Joy" which are biographies for 4 Christian women. It's good (not the best I've read from the author) but the lives of these women are fascinating. It's more an academic study with a breakdown of their lives, their impact on history and Christianity, and it includes their own writing.

Anonymous said...

when i was reading 'lolita' by vladimir nabokov, the dictionary was my constant companion. that's where i learned the word 'callipygean.' :) mary doria russell's books might not require a dictionary, but they are very involved, thoughtful, and spiritual.

krista said...

Re-reading any of my Jane Austen's or Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" is about as deep as I get these days!

Had to laugh at Kristin's comment...if you're desperate for mental stimulation in the form of picture books, I've got some we've translated into Polish! :oP

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?