Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lisa See

I'd never heard of Lisa See, much less read anything by the American author. Recently, however, someone recommended "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." I've been looking for a good read, and found just that. How long has it been since you've read a book that you don't want to put down? "Snow Flower" has captured and held my attention through each turned page. I sneak in a chapter at every free moment, rewarding myself for finishing the vacuuming or dishes. The imagery is amazing, the writing phenomenal, and the portrait of Chinese life enlightening and beautiful.

Lisa See masterfully details the lives of two young Chinese girls as the grow up, marry, have children, and face the difficulties of daily life. She tackles difficult issues such as love, death, hatred and bitterness. All the while, she weaves an intricate story of two kindred spirits, separated by status and rank. Amy Tan, author of ""The Joy Luck Club, calls the novel "achingly beautiful" and I'd have to agree.

What was the last page-turner you read?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last page turner was "Unnatural Causes" by P. D. James. I've heard a lot of good things about this novel you mention. I added it to my library list.

Marie said...

I'd have to say "Danny and the Dinosaur" or maybe "Dora Goes to the Beach". (Ha ha ha) (Sigh) I do miss reading adult books. Maybe one day...

Anonymous said...

I love your passion for reading. I honestly wish I was there...I'm trying to get to that place, but I can't seem to make time to just read...I guess one day that'll be my place in life...

Becoming a Morrison said...

"Escape" by Carolyn Jessop...it was about her leaving the FDLS (the polygomist morman cult recently in the news). It was so strange and unreal, as you wouldn't think these experiences would happen in the US...

I also, would have to say the last fiction read that I couldn't put down was Jodi P.'s "My Sister's Keeper" which I was SO hyped to hear that they are making into a movie with Ab. Breslin!

krista said...

YAY! I'm so glad you loved it too! "Achingly beautiful" captures it exactly. I couldn't put it down either.

Vegan Burnout said...

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer...think Jane Austen with vampires :) Romantic but not smutty, exciting but not too violent...makes me wish I was a teenager with a vampire boyfriend....*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I just got this book out of the library last night!

Zoanna said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like one I'd enjoy.

I just finished "Frank Lloyd Wright for Kids." Great little biography.

Unknown said...

Have you read "Memoirs of a Geisha" Definitely a page turner...