Friday, July 11, 2008

Favorite summer meal


During the summer, I seem to have less motivation for cooking gourmet (or even new) meals. This is our old standby, but we love it!

Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce
Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 20 min. Total time: under 30 min.

1 pound chicken
1 jar Classico Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce
1 Spaghetti Squash (I generally use about 1 pound per person)

1. Boil chicken breasts for 20 minutes. Shred.
2. Place shredded chicken and all of sauce in a pan.
3. Stir until sauce is heated through. Let simmer on low, stir occasionally.
4. While chicken is boiling, cut squash in half and remove all seeds and pulp.
5. Place in a pie plate or other microwaveable dish. Fill with enough water to just cover bottom of squash.
6. Cover squash tightly with plastic wrap. Pierce with 5 holes.
7. Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Will be VERY hot when you remove it.
8. Let is cool slightly. Shred squash with a fork onto plates. Squash will come out like spaghetti noodles and easily replaces pasta in any dish!
9. Cover each serving with the chicken/sauce mixture.
10. Serve with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.

**The squash is very hearty, so we always end up with left overs since we can't eat a "normal" pasta sized portion!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories of the beach. Remember we used to always make that, only using regular spaghetti?

Melodye said...

I'm going to try that tonight!! I have some grilled chicken tenders in the freezer I am going thaw!! I don't know if I can find spagetti squash, but if I can't I will use the real pasta. Thanks!! I'll let you know if Danny O. likes it :-) Melodye

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was JUST last night thinking I need an easy recipe to get out of my cooking rut. (And I'm feeling very gourmet in summer either.) Something hearty but won't heat overheat the kitchen. Alfredo in ANY dish is a winner with me. Never thought of adding red pepper flakes. But I'd lOVE it. Thanks, Lib!

Anonymous said...

That was me. Sorry. I get to typing too fast and skip important stuff like...oh, my name.
ZZ

~M said...

Funny how we (sorta) have more time in the summer to cook, etc, but the less we feel like it.

Melodye said...

Libby -- it was a winner!! Danny O liked it. Of course, I could not find spagetti squash at my small grocery store so I had some whole wheat pasta I used instead. It was yummy!! The grilled chicken was especially flavorful. Thanks!! Melodye O.