Monday, January 12, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover

Occasionally we watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I love how Ty has his "special" project room, and the other designers make sure that the kids will absolutely love their rooms. The designers spend time talking with the kids, finding out what would make the room the best possible for them. Sometimes it's a Disney room, or maybe a jungle theme, and sometimes even a Harry Potter room with doors and drawers that open when you point the wand at them. Amazing. I love to see the face of each family member as they enter the room made JUST for them.

As we were watching last night, Miguel wondered aloud what type of room he would want. A snowboarding room? A room full of tools and work space? He decided on a running/gym room, fully equipped with high-end workout equipment, weights, and training gear. Wonder what that room would cost??

I quickly stated that I would want my room to be a library. I can picture myself walking into a room with floor to ceiling bookshelves. Dark mahogany wood, of course. The shelves would be stocked with books of all kinds-classics, contemporary fiction, children's literature...and the book list would go on and on.

What does your "dream" room look like?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, have always dreamed of two special rooms: a library and a studio. The first would be a lot like you describe yours. The classic floor to ceiling bookcase filled with books and one of those cool ladders that slides along the outside. And lots of leather chairs to sink into.

My studio would be filled with light and a place where I could make a mess and leave it. A huge desk plus my tilted drawing table that's now in the attic because I have no space for it. I could leave all my brushes and pencils out and keep my projects out until they were complete.

And I know what kind of room Josh would want. A music room! :)

Briana Almengor said...

first thing that came to mind: peaceful, serene..so whatever would make that happen. :)
Simple, not a lot of stuff, perhaps some big black/whites of my kids and a great shot of my hubby and me kissing. :)
I'm thinking that my room would be my bedroom.
Long, flowing curtains
wood floors
distressed furniture
I like the cottage style when I think of my bedroom...very bright but serene...but NO seashells.

emily said...

Virginia Woolf said that every woman needs a "room of one's own".

I had a room makeover when a couple of years ago for my sixth anniversary Chris redecorated our bedroom. When I was away the Ladies' Retreat, Chris (with a little help from his friends) put down a new bamboo floor, painted the walls a soothing, soft gray, and installed oversized white trim. I love my room! Not only does it look great, but it reminds me of all the thought, effort, and love that Chris put into it.

krista said...

I love all of the ideas! Definately resonate with the wishes for simplicity, some good books, photography on the wall of my loved ones, neutral colors, dark wooden furniture, and I'll add a conjoined luxurious bath, lots of natural light, and a fireplace with comfy seating. Sort of a bedroom, bath and sitting room in one.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can bruit about that I approve of with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with publication of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=panamatic pmtc-1 head ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you partake of the pitch-dark methods of inspiriting of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg