Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Book Club Update

It's been a while since I have posted our book club's readings. Perhaps this is due to lack of time, or just lack of interesting reads! December's book was "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci. Cheesy plot, if you can call it a plot; predictable twist; action packed, in a ridiculous "ALL this drama could never happen to one person" sort of way. Need I say more?! I didn't make it to the meeting due to a family gathering.

January's book was "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyers. I had no desire to see the vampire movie when it came out, nor did I have any intentions of reading the book. In fact, I didn't realize the movie was based on a popular young-adult book series. I went into it thinking "Harry Potter." Fabulous, a new series for me to devour. But, what I discovered was little more than a young-adult romance. It held my attention, and I was drawn in, I admit. It was a bit like watching those cheesy chick-flicks -we make fun of the movies, but secretly are quite entertained. However, I am not going to read the series. "Harry Potter," it was not.

Now, a complete shift in genre. "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is our February book. I've found it a bit difficult to move from fluff to heavier reading. Perhaps because I am constantly stopping and starting again between Isabel's feedings...hmmm....wonder how long it will take me to finish?

6 comments:

The Great Debater said...

Well, at least you picked up the book for this month. I am reading 2 books for pleasure instead right now, amazing, huh?

I'll get next month's book in a week or two...

nicole baird said...

Yes I will admit I never quite made it through that one, although I loved his One Hundred Year of Solitude. You'll have to let me know...

Briana Almengor said...

read while you nurse. That's how I got through 5 months of excruciatingly painful nursing w/ the boys. OF course, if it's not painful but rather pleasant and a bonding experience for the two of you, then you may not want that distraction. :)

Becoming a Morrison said...

Ugh...I read the whole Twilight series at the request of my sister in law. I had the same feelings towards it as you seem to.

Actually, I also thought that it was poorly written and needed more character development for the main character Bella...she seemed kind of a stereotype-shell-of-a-teenage-girlish… I think that the only reason why it did so well was because so many people are looking for a viable fantasy replacement to Harry Potter.

Unknown said...

who was the author that you were telling me about...I think Kjirstin recommeded it to you? It wasn't a book club book but you said you liked her, or other people liked her?? know what I'm talking about?!

Anonymous said...

So you liked Twilight??? :D You have to read the rest of the books.