Saturday, March 04, 2006

No ordinary girls' night

Growing up, I always respected and looked up to the "older girls" in the church--Heather, Emily, Brianna. When I got to spend time with them, it was always memorable and I felt special. Special because they took time out of their "older" lives to spend with me, a little kid. I still remember one snowy evening at Heather's--going to see Sense and Sensibility--before I knew who Jane Austen was (!!)--playing Huggermugger, drinking hot chocolate, then spending the night to watch Rear Window. That is a prized memory. God graciously prompted those girls to invest in my life at a very pivotal time.

I have sensed God's prompting on my life, in this very area, over the past few months. I have benefited to this day from the investments in my life, and desire to have the same impact on the "younger girls." Last night I had my first opportunity to invest in the life of a younger girl. I spent my Friday evening with McKenzie Templeton. I picked her up at her place, then drove home for an evening of chick flicks. We were able to engage in a some good "getting to know you" conversation and even a little encouragement. After trying to stay awake through two movies--the new Pride and Prejudice (see next post) and another that I can't recall--the efforts were at a loss. We trooped upstairs to bed. McKenzie timidly asked where she'd sleep. I suggested in my bed with me, since I truly can't sleep without Miguel being home!!! So a body in the bed would be welcome!! Actually, I wanted to make a memory, and talking as we fell asleep sounded like a good one. We quickly drifted off and then hit the snooze about five times this morning. We got up, made a great breakfast and had more time to talk. Our time together was nothing outlandish, nothing expensive, and nothing even exciting. Yet, it was fun and memorable.

While the impact on McKenzie may not be significant, I pray God used last night to bless her. I know the impact on my life will be great. I was the one who was blessed. I walked away feeling refreshed by her honesty and sincerity. I often forget what it's like to be young, and take life too seriously. God has graciously envisioned me to spend time with a younger generation--a calling I pray I am faithful to.

Who, from a slightly older generation (but younger than your parents!), impacted your life growing up?

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't know if this counts or not...but my sisters. My sisters were 18 and 15 when I was born...so they are not really in my generation. But some of my fondest memories growing up came when they would pick me up and take me on some big adventure. I remember them taking me to the circus, to the fair, teaching me to ice skate, duck-pin bowling. I remember the sleep overs where we would make popcorn and watch movies like Gremlins. I remember one time, spending the whole day with Laurie...and then that night we ordered pizza and watched Home Alone of pay-per-view. (something that would never happen back home at the ranch) Then, I got scared sleeping on the couch downstairs..so Laurie made her husband sleep on the couch and I got to sleep upstairs with her.

Like you said, these aren't any terrific adventures, but they meant the world to a 9-year old. Thank you for encouraging us to seek to encourage those beyond our normal interactions.

Zoanna said...

This quesiton really stumped me. Sad, huh? I do remember one babysitter when I was probably 6 or 7 who taught me to cross-stitch and crochet. She was very patient. She also played "Sorry" and "Trouble" and "Aggravation other (dumb, little-if-any strategy) games that require endless patience. I don't even remember her name,

THis post really touched me. The thoughtfulness and unselfishness of spending time with a younger girl doing fun stuff--I think it's uncommon and wonderful. I think you're on to something. Teach women your age to take younger girls under their wing once in a while. How great is that!!!

Danielle said...

What an awesome example you are, Lib! I'm inspired. I hope most of all my sister, Judith, will have a great big sister relationship with me and that she'll see me as a close friend and godly example (we're 13 years apart).

Like Zoanna, as for myself, I can't say I ever had any relationship like that.

Laurie said...

I am so please that you decided to do that Libby. Way to go, you Titus 2 woman in the making! Thank you for reminding me of the importance of just hanging out with young ladies. It gets me thinking....

I would definitely say my sister was my slightly older, fun investor into my life. I love that she is just a step or two ahead. I learn so much from her.