Saturday, March 18, 2006

Morning and Evening

Encouragement from today's reading in Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening." I was freshly reminded of the vastness of Christ's love for me. The bold quote especially struck me. I was His ANCIENT CHOICE. Dear believer, YOU were His ancient choice! Let's rejoice in the knowledge and understanding of God's love for us today!

John 15:9 “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you.”

As the Father loves the Son, in the same manner Jesus loves his people. What is that divine method? He loved him without beginning, and thus Jesus loves his members. “I have loved thee with an everlasting love.” You can trace the beginning of human affection; you can easily find the beginning of your love to Christ, but his love to us is a stream whose source is hidden in eternity. God the Father loves Jesus without any change... Yesterday you were on Tabor’s top, and you said, “He loves me:” to-day you are in the valley of humiliation, but he loves you still the same... When all His waves and billows go over you, His heart is faithful to His ancient choice...The Father loves the Son without any end, and thus does the Son love his people...Moreover, the Father loves the Son without any measure, and the same immeasurable love the Son bestows upon his chosen ones... Ah! we have indeed an immutable Saviour, a precious Saviour, one who loves without measure, without change, without beginning, and without end, even as the Father loves him! There is much food here for those who know how to digest it. May the Holy Ghost lead us into its marrow and fatness!

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

I absolutely love this post, Lib. God has been putting love verses out for me every day...in places where I am sure to look, but not necessarily to look for reminders of His love. It's almost like He has left Romans 8:38-39 on Post-it for me right here!

Anonymous said...

So encouraging! I love that we are his "ancient choice," what a neat way of thinking about it!