Thursday, March 23, 2006

I am my husband's wife

Good with her hands, yet dangerous on the job! For once, it is I who have the construction story! Miguel comes home almost daily with cuts, scrapes, bruises and the inevitable story of how he was UNSAFE and therefore received his wounds. I harp on him, but to no avail. As if to say, "I told you so," last night was my turn.

The Setting: My friend's old/new house. We were working in this old house to get it ready for her move in date--Sunday. We spent the evening putting together cabinets, shelves and hanging doors on the cabinets. The first door was a piece of cake. Second and third doors, no problem. The fourth door, man, should've known...stinkin' fourth door!

The Plot: Pain and suffering. Kadie climbed the step stool to screw in the top hinge of the door, while I stood below and gently lifted the door into place. As as I gave slight pressure, her hand slipped, the screw fell out and...

Climax: The door slipped from both of our hands and smacked me square in the face. Hard. It landed right on my forehead and cheek bone.

Falling action: All Kadie could say was, "Wow, you're going to have a black eye!" Thanks Kadie, Thanks!

Final Outcome: I have a very tender face and slight bruising that is manageable with make-up. But now I understand why God designed the human body with an ocular cavity. The eye sits recessed from the face to allow falling cabinet doors to miss our actual eyeball and only nail our cheek bones!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were okay! That's like when I went snowboarding and wiped out, leaving a huge black eye. People at work teased me about getting in a bar fight ☺

I love the cute picture of the puppy! Any name, yet?

Zoanna said...

Sorry about your accident. Loved the creative format you wrote in.
So did the cabinet get put in by someone else at last?

Beth Young said...

ocular cavity? Honestly, Libby! Who says that???!!!! You ARE a nerd! Just kidding. I'm just jealous because I'm not smart :-)