Monday, December 13, 2010

traditions

I have a horrible memory. I rarely remember what was said in an argument, so I fight horribly. I don't remember to put food away after dinner, so end up having to throw it away in the morning. And, I really do not have very many memories of my childhood. I wish I was joking. BUT, I figured I would *try* to share some of our family holiday traditions. Hopefully they are real, and not just a recreation of my barely-working-memory.

#1-We always did the chocolate advent calendars. You know, the ones that have horrible milk chocolate in them. You find the number, open the door, and choke down the candy? Well, my grandfather always made his own chocolate at Christmas time. So we received the best tasting, hand painted chocolates in our advent calendar. And usually a solid chocolate lollipop to go with it. and chocolate covered cherries.

#2-handmade everything. My mom was incredibly crafty, as were my grandmothers. And I wish I had've cared enough to learn their skills. We had cute little snowmen laying around. A felt advent calendar. Wonder if my dad still has it so I don't have to cut all those pieces out?! amazing cookies coming out the wazoooo. Cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning. stockings carefully beaded. Christmas cards stamped, embossed, and signed.

How about you? What traditions do you love from your childhood?

3 comments:

Vegan Burnout said...

My mom made needlepoint stockings for all of us--mine even has my favorite childhood toys embroidered on it! My grandparents made us a wooden Advent calendar shaped like a Christmas tree, with ornaments for each day. My granddad built it, and my grandma painted it and all the ornaments(she was a wonderful painter). My sister and I would add ornaments on alternating days so no one felt left out. I love going to my parents' house and seeing it. Love your list, Lib! :)

Danielle said...

Advent calendars, baking cookies. Loved having snacks around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, reading the Christmas story, singing carols. Christmas morning loved the Christmas breakfast.

Unknown said...

My Mom would make homemade doughnuts for breakfast on Christmas morning and I was never allowed to come out of my room until she and Dad had their coffee and were situated by the tree. Then they would call me to come see what Santa had left for us.

I think I may have believed until I was 18 because Mom made everything about Christmas magical and full of secrets. She would decorate the big bay window with antique toys like an old time store and we always had barley sugar candy and Jewish apple cake.

When we lived in Hamden, everybody on our block would hand decorate their doors and although there were no prizes - everyone knew who had been the most creative - and it was always my Mom!

The Dads would crawl all over the connecting roofs of the rowhouses decorating with those big old lights and the whole block lit up the sky. This was 50 years ago - well before the newcomers started the Miracle on 34th street.

A few weeks before Christmas, there would be a parade down "The Avenue" in Hamden and we would take our letters to Santa who would come last in the parade, with his helpers collecting our letters with the long-handled collection baskets borrowed from the local churches.

I know you'll make Bella's memories every bit as special as your Mom made yours!