Friday, December 03, 2010

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Ok, so this isn't exactly a holiday dessert. But we consider it a side dish, anyway. That's how we Tureks roll.

Ma's S.P.S.
  • 2 cups crushed pretzels
  • 3/4 cup melted butter
  • 3 tablespoons sugar, plus 3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute; can reduce amount if desired)
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (low fat)
  • 1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping (low fat)
  • 2 (3-ounce) packages strawberry gelatin dessert mix (sugar-free is fine)
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen strawberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

For the crust, mix the pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Press this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch pan and bake for 7 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.

In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar. Fold in the whipped topping, and spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until well chilled.

In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and allow to cool slightly. Add the strawberries, and pour over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate until serving time.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

I love this stuff but have never made it myself. Do you usually use the sugar free strawberry gelatin or regular?

And hey, in my family, anything is a "Holiday dish". My two favorite Christmas cookies have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas! :)

Danielle said...

This is one of my favorites and a regular that my extended family member make, although I've also never made it myself!

Tiffany said...

This is SOOOOOO a holiday dessert in my family! We had it at Thanksgiving and we'll have it for Christmas. I will say that my mom makes it best though. ;)

This dessert is all about the crust. If you don't crush the pretzels enough or bake the pretzels so it becomes a solid crust, the pretzels turn into mush, which is NO fun. :)

krista said...

I haven't had this dish in years, but it is ever so yummy. Why haven't I made it?!

One permanent holiday "salad" dish for us is Polish Vegetable Salad. Ever have it/make it?