Thursday, December 02, 2010

Holiday Baking

What would this blog be without a recipe or two?! So, the next few weeks, I am going to try and post some of my favorite family festive food recipes. and try not to use annoying alliteration. This week, in honor of my grannies, I will be posting two holiday classics passed down from them.

The first is a classic Lithuanian cookie called "Moon Cookies." As a kid, I was never fond of them. at all. then two years ago, I realized just how good they really are. amazing that adulthood brings about a more refined palate. Apparently, they are traditionally given to others as a token of generosity and thanks. Granny always gave them in a tin, with layers separated by wax paper.

Granny's Moon Cookies

6 oz. chocolate bits
½ cup English walnuts
¾ cup butter
7/8 cup of sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 3/8 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease a 10x15x½-inch jelly roll pan. Grind chocolate bits and walnuts to a powder in a food processor or coffee grinder. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add egg yolks, nuts and chocolate powder, mix.

In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then lightly fold in the flour (do not over mix). Spread batter evenly in the well-greased pan (batter will be about ¼–½-inch thick). Bake until lightly browned (10–15 minutes or when a toothpick comes out clean).

While cookies are baking, make the frosting

2 tablespoons butter
½ pound confectioners sugar
drops of rum (or vanilla extract if you prefer)
1 tablespoon milk, or more if needed

Cream butter and sugar together in a small bowl. Flavor with drops of extract or rum to taste. Add milk, using more if needed to make frosting creamy, but not runny. Set aside.

Spread frosting on warm cookies so frosting soaks in a bit, but forms a nice glaze. Cool completely. Use a thin-edged glass or deep 2¾-inch cutter, to cut crescent moon shapes. Start at one corner and cut one "full moon," then move over about ½-inch to cut a crescent moon. Continue until each row is finished.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Yum! I plan on making that cranberry torte your aunt made a few years ago this year for our Jones Family Christmas. Can't wait to try that one!

krista said...

Wait...I thought these were called "Czechoslovakian" Moon Cookies. That's what my recipe card says. I thought you had given me the recipe but now I'm wondering how I got it. HA HA

Whatevah. I concur that they are YUMMY! (Lithuanian is much easier to spell.)

Libby said...

hahaha, you caught me! They are TECHNICALLY called Czech Moon Cookies, but hey, Lithuania was prob part of Czech at one point, right?! =)