Friday, September 24, 2010

Cupcake Review #3

This sweets eating thing has GOT to stop. I mean it. For real this time. No more. So, this review is going to have to hold me over until at least next week.

Today, I ventured with two friends to a new cupcakery in Havre de Grace. Sweet Devotion just opened in the last month, so I wasn't sure what to expect, especially considering it sits right on Rt. 40. The atmosphere was charming, and felt a bit reminiscent of Panera--overstuffed leather couches, a fireplace (NO it was not on). I would go back just to sit, drink coffee, eat a cupcake (or two), and enjoy the cafe. I had planned to order two cupcakes and walked out with six. Here's what I ordered and what I thought.
(The Red Velvet never made it home, and the others...well, I forgot to snap a picture before I took a few nibbles)

Salted Caramel: The presentation was pretty, but the cupcake/filling/frosting combination was way too sweet. Miguel and I chose not to finish it

PB: This was a chocolate cake with a mini-Reese's cup baked into the middle, a peanut butter frosting with a mini-Reese's cup on top. I thought this had a great balance of flavors, not too sweet. But it would have been better with a softer pb center instead of the cup.

Boston Cream: The vanilla cake was super moist. The cream filling was delicate, though could have used a bit more of it. The chocolate ganache was good, but honestly needed a little sweetness added to it.

Red Velvet: I love red velvet, and this was fantastic. It was simple, not a lot of frosting, perfect!

Sweet Devotion is well worth a visit. Next time, I think I'll try the crepes.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I'd like to go for a little date night there one evening to get both a savory and a sweet crepe. Definitely worth a trip back. Loved that there were so many couches!

Kristin said...

They get two thumbs up from me - conidering they brought FREE cupcakes to the teachers at our school!!

krista said...

I thought of you as I was perusing Martha Stewart's CUPCAKES cookbook recently. Drool. I'm thinking of asking for that cookbook for Christmas. :-)