Monday, September 13, 2010

Cupcake Review #1

I have a new passion for cupcakes. I love that they are the perfect portion. I love that they can be easily stored in the fridge if need be. I love that they are easy to fill and frost. I love that they satisfy my sweet tooth and I'm not tempted to "cut just a sliver" more.

So, when I heard about Fresh Bakery in Towson Town Center, I was beyond excited. A friend and I planned an outing around cupcakes. Trader Joes first, shoes next, cupcakes last. What could be a more perfect day. All we knew was that the cupcake place was new and on the 2nd level. We got off the escalators and saw a kiosk full of cupcakes. First impression: WHO sells cupcakes out of a kiosk?!? Definitely not a professional way to market and sell cupcakes. Cell phones or cheap jewelry out of a moving cart, sure. Edibles, I think not. There was no one manning the kiosk, so we weren't able to ask if there was a storefront-which is highly unlikely. So it left us wondering where (and frankly when) the cupcakes were made. They looked cute enough, and as we browsed the cupcakes, the "Martha's Vineyard" strawberry-on-strawberry cupcakes caught my eye. YUM, strawberry flecks in the icing. Or was it a fruit fly? Yup, upon further inspection, there were fruit flies buzzing around the cupcakes behind the glass.

Lovely, we promptly left, quite disappointed. Someone will be hearing from me shortly.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! This is the ultimate disillusionment! I think you should do cupcakes wars a la kiosk and show 'em how its supposed to be done!

Briana Almengor said...

oh. that's awful. At least you got a Trader Joe's stop in to redeem the trip.

Anonymous said...

The kids and I had one of those cupcakes without the fruitflies. They were ok. Just ok.

Leanne said...

I was at Columbia Mall today and saw a Fresh Bakery kiosk complete with staff member and minus the fruit flies. I didn't try one - not exactly WW friendly :) - but there definitely wasn't a store front.