Tuesday, September 07, 2010

chivalry

chivalry is surely not dead. as much as I hear people hem and haw over "kids these days," I saw the sweetest gesture of masculinity today.

A teenage boy and girl were walking on the shoulder of Tollgate Road today as I was driving by. The girl was walking closer to the traffic (too close for comfort), with the boy next to the sidewalk. As I drove by, the boy gently pulled her shirt sleeve and made her walk on the other side of him, as he took the spot closer to traffic.

It reminded me of an era where men held doors open for women, no matter who they were; would gladly open a car door for a woman no matter what the weather; paid for a date, no matter what number date it was. ah, the good ol' days.

2 comments:

A girl who sees said...

It definitely still does exist, but sadly not as much as a while ago! I am blessed to have a man who knows what chivalry is, and who works hard to train it into our little man! Hopefully it'll stick ;)

Vegan Burnout said...

So sweet! My husband's like that--he prefers to walk on the side closest to the street, etc. However, it's been a long time since we thought about who pays for a date!