Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cupcake Review #2

Yesterday, a friend (a true friend, I might add) brought me not one, not two, but FOUR cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake. She just happened to be in that neighborhood, and just happened to ask if I'd like a sample box. Would I like a sample box?! Rhetorical question, I'm sure. There is much hype around the shop, as the store is now featured as a TLC show. I wondered if the cupcakes were as good as I'd heard. Could they really be "out of this world," "ridiculous," "worth the 2 hour drive"??? Well, yes, my friends, they are all those things and more. Here is a list of what I tasted, and my reactions.
Key Lime: Frosting was a light and fluffy buttercream, but not overly sweet. The cake could have used a bit of graham in it. Overall, loved loved it.

PB Fudge: WOW. Chocolate cake with a pb frosting, and a surprise chocolate lava filling. PB frosting wasn't too sweet or too rich. Heavenly.

Caramel Apple: This was good. just good. It was a bit much for me. The apple cake would have been good on its own with a small dollop of cream cheese frosting. The caramel filling and cream cheese frosting together were too rich.

Chocolate Squared: Chocolate cake dipped in chocolate ganache. Quite tasty, and I will be trying the recipe that was posted here. Nothing out of the ordinary, but the cake was moist and the ganache was a perfect complement.

If you just HAPPEN to be in that neighborhood, you should wander in, wait the two hours to place your order, and bring me back a sample box. Next on my cupcake to-do list.....sample and review Sweet Devotion Cupcakes next week.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

So you just ate 4 cupcakes in 1 sitting? ;-) I love you! I'll get you 4 more next time I go! ;-)

Danielle said...

I never heard of this place, but will make it part of my next Georgetown trip (love that place).

krista said...

Okay, now I've got a hankerin' for a cupcake. :-)