Monday, October 11, 2010

lasagna alternative

In college, I took a health class and went through a weird vegetarian stage. I say weird, because I was so uneducated, that all I ate were salads and beans and cheese pizzas. Ha. My granny bought me "Betty Crocker's Vegetarian Cooking" and I only tried a few recipes at the time. Recently, I have started using the cook book again. I tried the lasagna primavera and loved it. Miguel's comment was "it could use some meat." HA!



12 uncooked lasagna noodles
3 cups frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and well drained
3 large carrots, coarsely shredded (2 cups)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, well drained


1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese--part skim
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 jars (10 oz each) Alfredo pasta sauce--I used Classico's new "light" sauce
1 package (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese (4 cups)--I used maybe 3C lowfat mozzarella







Print these coupons...
















About Concordance™




  1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
  2. Meanwhile, if necessary, cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. In large bowl, mix broccoli, carrots, tomatoes and bell peppers. In small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg.
  3. In ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, spread 2/3 cup Alfredo sauce. Top with 4 noodles. Spread half of the cheese mixture and 2 1/2 cups of the vegetables over noodles. Spoon 2/3 cup sauce in dollops over vegetables. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
  4. Top with 4 noodles; spread with remaining cheese mixture and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables. Spoon 2/3 cup sauce in dollops over vegetables. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining 4 noodles and the vegetables. Spoon remaining sauce in dollops over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
  5. Bake uncovered 45 to 60 minutes or until bubbly and hot in center. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I just wanted to say I think your blog has migrated from "book-love" to "food-love." Ha ha! Nothing wrong with that, btw!

Libby said...

sadly, it's because I have nothing else to say! =) And all the books I've read haven't been very note-worthy, so sad!

Vegan Burnout said...

Spinach lasagna is awesome too! I make the BEST lasagna, and you're welcome to try it! :)