Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Valentine's

I was reading through old posts this morning, and I realized that I used to write better posts than I have been recently. Or at least posts that were entertaining or useful. Without further ado, here's a throwback post.

What is the best Valentines' gift you have ever given AND received?

Best Received: A cook top stove. Purchased and installed by Miguel while I was at work. I got home and saw a gorgeous bouquet of roses on the counter. I didn't even realize that they were sitting on a brand new stove! Miguel then made me a nice dinner on that stove. Perhaps not the most romantic gift, but definitely something I had desired. It was that much sweeter because it was a surprise.

Best Given: I have a horrible memory, so I can only remember last year! I had written a "menu" for the evening, including things like: a romantic dinner by candle light, a massage, etc. He earned "money" to buy the items by finding Hershey Kisses I had placed around the house. In the evening, he counted all of his Kisses and then chose several items off the menu. What he chose was based on how many Kisses he had found, and the value of each menu item. It was a fun, creative way to give him a gift (and inexpensive).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so stealing your idea w/the Kisses! That's so creative :) Jeremy & I never really celebrate V-day b/c he says it is too commercialized ;) I can say that he treats me wonderfully every day & is sweet all of the time. We are going to go to Pf Chang's for a late lunch on V-day w/Annabelle :) But I like your idea w/the "menu" and kisses. Very cute :) xox, Laura

Briana Almengor said...

Best received: THIS YEAR! We started celebrating our VDay and Anniv.(March 16th) early last year b/c 1. LA's busy season just stresses us both out and it is well underway by the time VDay and our Anniv. rolls around and 2. I hate crowds and cliche so it's more fun to do it early when no one else is even thinking about it yet. So, this past weekend, we took an overnight trip to Annapolis (which I thought was gift enough) to celebrate both VDay and our Anniv.
I brought a card for my hubby.
At dinner, he said, "I know we're seeking to live like no one else, but I want to love like no one else" and popped out a box from Nelson Coleman's with diamond studs in them!!!!! I was sooo surprised and undone that I cried (I know that's shocking to anyone who knows me). :)

I think the best thing about any best gift is when we don't expect it and for once in our married life, I didn't expect anything from my husband which made the gift all that more special.

Best given: I don't consider myself a good gift giver. It's something I really want to grow in, but a few things come to mind. For Thanksgiving this year, I contacted all 6 of my siblings and asked them to cut out leaves from construction paper which we'd use to hang on a "tree" (branches that I put together in a large vase. On those leaves, they along with their children (my parent's grandchildren) were to write things they were grateful for about my parents. When we came together for Thanksgiving, we presented the Thankfulness tree to my parents.
My dad just was laid off from his job only about 2 weeks prior to T-giving and my mom had just had a rather invasive surgery. SO, it meant a lot to both of them.