Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Kite Runner

This month's book club book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I was excited to read the book, given all the past hype and numerous recommendations. I was warned, though, that it would be a "rough" read.

The book traces the fictional life of Amir, a young Afghan, as he grows up during pre-war Afghanistan and later moves to America during war-ravaged times. The book is beautifully written, with imagery that transports the reader to another time and place. I saw Amir as he sat below the pomegranate tree; I saw Amir as he walked the war-torn streets searching for his past; and I saw Amir as he ached for redemption and forgiveness of sins.

The Kite Runner truly was a "rough" read-I cried as the losses mounted, heartaches increased, and difficulties seemed insurmountable. Thought it is a work of fiction, the tale is rooted in the history of a violent civil war. You cannot help but thank God that our experiences of daily life have been vastly different. The Kite Runner is well worth your investment of time and emotions.

P.S.-I hear the movie adaptation is not a great representation of the book and is not worth the $4 to rent it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to watching the movie, but if it's not that great, I'll remember that the book is better.

And, don't worry, we rented it for free from the library. So, if it's a total flop, it's no money lost.

krista said...

I too enjoyed The Kite Runner, and thought it was extremely well-written. Have you read "A Thousand Splendid Suns"? I liked this one even more I think because it was from two women's points of view. Even though I have NEVER gone through trials like they did, lived in a war-torn country, or suffered from the social stigmas they did daily as a women in a Muslim society, I found myself able to identify with them so closely.
I highly recommend it! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

Mary Nell said...

I recently finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (I too recommended it!) and am about to start "The Kite Runner". Glad to hear its good.

And thank you for the encouragement. I needed it.

Unknown said...

what?! i thought the movie was as close to the book as could be in such a short time. 5 hrs more and it would've been right on. it wasn't Hollywood-ized AT ALL, which is what usually ruins movies for me. it's not a must-see though. for me, the book was so much to take in that i just wanted to get the whole experience.

peace out