Saturday, October 14, 2006

Practical application?!

On Wednesday night, I attended our church's ladies' meeting. We broke down into small sessions, and I attended Marilyn's on simplifying your life. I absolutely LOVE being organized--mainly throwing things away, decluttering and rearranging. I determined to head home after the meeting to empty out my kitchen over the weekend. Emily Connell wondered just how much kitchen stuff I could accumulate in a year and a half. A LOT, I told her! I love dishes, they are my obsession! Clothes, shoes, nah. Dishes get me every time. I have my eye on a new set that would look fabulous in my kitchen. But alas, Miguel has put his foot down. Four sets of dishes is enough for a newly married and childless woman!

Ok, back to my topic--decluttering and organizing. I set to work this morning with a mission--throw away anything I don't use and haven't used for at least one season. Going through my clothes was easy. I Goodwilled a large bag and box full of sweaters and pants. Some of the sweaters were from high school and some were hole ridden. Each one I put in the bag, Miguel questioned. "Can't you still wear that?!" "Don't ask me to buy you a new one!" "What's wrong with that one??" I simply reminded him that 6 years ago was the 90's and fashion has drastically changed...not to mention most of the items were way too big and oh so slightly worn.

On to the kitchen. I was going to have great fun. I started with some simple organizing and then moved on to throwing things out...my favorite! I pulled out a griddle pan that I've used once. Goodwill item, for sure. Or so I thought. Miguel quickly ixnayed my idea and told me to put it back where I found it. It could be useful, he said. We love grilled cheese, remember?? Yes, dear, but I use a regular pan for that...Well, you'll think of some use for it! I know, I can beat you with it when I get mad! ha, that would work. So back into the drawer it went. The bottle opener. Can't throw that out either, our other one might break?!! Who thinks like that????? =) Obviously my husband! Back into the drawer it went.

I gave up. And resorted to making chocolate chip cookies. Oh well. Perhaps I should give up decluttering and work on waking up a half hour earlier to spend time in the Word!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Libby, I know the feeling. Mike is a pack rat! I gave up a long time ago. We recently cleaned out some attic stuff. The kids were funny. Nick is like "me no I do not want that picture I colored at 3". Chuck it. Katie is her father. "Aww a picture I colored at 3 how cute". Save it. Nick and I would throw stuff while the other 2 were not looking. Mike would pull stuff out of the trash. I will say this. I am glad that we kept stuff of Scotts. But even some of that I was willing to depart with. Mike no way!!! So I can sympathize with you girl! Getting up earlier will be easier than getting a husband to part with the "stuff"!

Anonymous said...

Same here! Josh and I have terrific wars on what to get rid of (friendly ones, of course). He keeps EVERYTHING and love going through clothes, books, etc. and getting rid of what we haven't used, doesn't fit, is old, etc. He has three times as many clothes as me and every change of season I make him go through it, hoping to get rid of more. I try to bribe him by telling him I'll buy him new stylish clothes as he gets rid of the old :) He also keeps tons of paper and old files. I still have stuff I need to get a grip on what it is and how to file it. It's fun! ;)

Karen Hevesy said...

Rule number 1..declutter ALONE. When the kids go to school and Jim is at work, I get busy. I don't throw out Jim's stuff without asking him but I way clean out the kids stuff, and anything in the kitchen is my domain.

Zoanna said...

I hit our master bedroom closet this weekend. How liberating! My husband and I both agree on decluttering, but the particular items are often debated! I am much more sentimental about cards, letters, and things the kids drew when they were little. He is clinging to vinyl albums ("they're vintage now, Zo") and so I say "sell them on ebay." He says he has to research ebay first, not sure about taxes and such. So I say then put it in the Pennysaver. He says, "After you sell your dishes." I hear ya, dear! But I am a worse saver than he is, yet God is helping me pare down and pare down month by month.