Sunday, October 15, 2006

apple picking

"oh, I feel a little Anne of Green Gables-ish." "If I jump, I can maybe reach that really BIG one? Sacha, you're tall, you get it!" "Can I fill my basket super high and still pay for the half bushel?" All quotes from my day today. Doing what you might ask?? Why, apple picking, of course!

I must admit, I'd never been, until today. I joined four of my wonderful friends for an afternoon of apple picking at Maple Lawn Farms and then an evening of pie making. I haven't had that much fun in a while! Sacha and I picked side-by-side until our baskets ran over, literally. Then we got rid of some of our Granny Smiths so that we could add Romes. Which we thought were mushy, but ended up being super crisp and not-too-tart. I ate more than I put in my basket and still had room for more! When our baskets were too full to add another apple, we adventured back to Em's house for an evening of dessert making--tarts, crisps and lots of pies! Kris and I were given the task of coring, peeling and slicing 6 pounds of apples for a pie that we wouldn't even get to eat (or taste!)! But away we went. My mantra for the evening was "if it tastes bad, Kris did it. If it tastes good, well then, of course, I did it!"

I have a half bushel of apples and don't want them to go to waste. What should I make with them? What good apple recipes do you have? Please post! Or send them to me via e-mail! I'd hate for my Granny Smiths, Romes, Fujis, and Staymens to all go bad just because I ran out of apple recipes =)

6 comments:

Zoanna said...

I have a GREAT recipe for Apple Crumble from Sandy Browne. It's got plenty of brown sugar and butter, which I thought I'd tell you before I posted it.

Anonymous said...

You could make apple sauce! Sounds like you guys had so much fun! Wish I could have been there, I guess Em told you why. I'll be posting about my Sunday here soon . . .

Anonymous said...

If you cut out the core of the apple and make a little dip in the top, drop some butter and brown sugar and put it in the oven for a bit until soft, it's amazingly delicious. You can use the Brown Sugar with Splenda in it and you can use low fat or fat free butter. It's very good. Maybe that's what Zoanna is talking about, also, throw them in a crock put for making applesauce like Danielle said!

Zoanna said...

The apple crumble is a layer of sliced apples with cinnamon and sugar (I like Fuji or Mutsu apples best) topped with a crumbled mixture of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter, baked for about 1/2 hour.

Sacha said...

That was alot of fun Lib! It was good to be with you!

Briana Almengor said...

I have a great recipe for apple dumplings I tweeked using half whole wheat flour recently and it was yummy. If you want it, let me know. Otherwise, I've been making a lot of apple sauce this season. That's great to make for even apples that have been sitting for a while.