Monday, August 14, 2006

Harrisburg or Bust

Ok, so Harrisburg isn't the most exciting city, nor the largest, nor the prettiest, but it does provide ample opportunities for outdoor adventures. Yesterday, Miguel and I celebrated his 25th birthday. He is officially a quarter of a century old! Wow. But he's still my baby!

I love to plan for birthdays, especially Miguel's. Though they were never a big deal in the Barowski family, the Turek's celebrated birthdays in style. So I greatly enjoy the sneaky planning aspect, as well as the actual day-of-events. Yesterday was no different. I decided on an "outdoor" theme, since Miguel loves fishing, camping, etc. and it was a gorgeous weekend.

Each step of the day was a surprise to Miguel. Our day started with a visit to the Sovereign Grace Church, Living Hope, in Harrisburg. Our next stop was The Wharf, a great seafood/American restaurant. We sat outside in a gorgeous courtyard. After lunch, he received a gift card to Bass Pro Shop and we headed to Outdoor World-Bass Pro. We spent several hours shopping and browsing. Who knew he could love shopping so much!!! If they only had Gap clothing available in Bass Pro, I'd be set!

After shopping, we headed to Hershey Park for an evening of rides and fun. The Sunset Entrance is available for half-price and you still have enough time to enjoy the park. Without a doubt, the park was the highlight of the day. We were able to spend quality time together talking, laughing, screaming, and talking some more. I realized, again, how much I enjoy Miguel's company and how quickly I forget the good times when things become bogged down by "life."

I love birthdays. What memorable ways have you celebrated your/other birthday?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great birthday planning!!! Sounds like you guys had a great time together.

I'm a big party girl, and love going all out for every holiday! You've inspired me to do more for Josh's birthday, though. It follows so close on the heels of Christmas, we're usually broke! I've had some good ideas I haven't actually been able to do . . . I should start saving now!

The sweetest thing Josh did for my birthday was bring me breakfast in bed with flowers from our yard. That was something my mom used to always do, and he knew I'd miss it because I'm so sentimental. I hadn't encouraged or asked him to do it, I think he just picked up on it and it was a touching surprise!

Kristin said...

Wow! I'm sure Miguel was blessed by that day! And I'm sure its nice to have those special days away from the everyday occupations to really appreciate each other.

As for my birthdays...they have always been kept pretty low key. My mom's birthday is 2 days before mine...and Christmas is 7 days after mine...so it makes for a pretty stressful season. For my 13th birthday though, my mom took me to get glamour shots done in the mall. I was definitely your quintessential awkward teenager, so it was fun to get glammed up for a day and to feel pretty. It was also nice to bond with my mom that day and to feel grown up.

Zoanna said...

What a thoughtful wife you are. You are going to be such a blessing to your children as you make memories and teach them how to make others feel special. Way to go, girl!

Certain b'days stick out for me. My Sweet 16 was a total surprise. Got a beautiful peach rose cake, a mini-golf outing, and my name on the marquis at the mini-golf place!

On my 30th, my older sister Rachel made me a sherry cake, Bundt style, and filled the center with beautiful flowers and sparkler type candles. My parents gave me a diamond cut necklace with a single pearl from Hawaii, and Paul & the kids bought me a camera.

My 40th, last year, was fun with Karen Hevesy (my twin). We did a Renoir and Rockwell theme. Danielle was there dressed as a Rockwell girl. Almost everyone came in costume and it was a planned potluck thing. We played art-related games (little quiz and Pictionary on a white board). I love planning theme parties!

Anonymous said...

I loved my 16h birthday. My parents surprised we with a special gift- a vacation to NH to see my best friend who had moved away a in 2002. Also, after a nice dinner out at Red Lobster, I went to a family friend's house where they surprised me with a cake, and even were thoughful to put little football confectioner candies on top since they knew that was my favorite sport at the time.

While that was one of the best birthdays, my parents have always made all our birthday's special. My dad usually comes in and sings happy birthday before he leaves for work, I get the day off school and chores, and we usually go out for a nice dinner and then back to the house for cake and ice cream, with the dining room decorated to fit our style that year.