Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Busy

I received an e-mail today with the following quote attached:

"It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?" ~Henry David Thoreau

I began to wonder, "what is it that I am busy about?" Is my life filled with service for the kingdom? Are my everyday actions intended to bring God glory? When I feel so overwhelmed and stressed out from the insanity of life, am I busy because I am tending to my Father's work?

In all honesty, I have to answer "no" to each of those questions. My life is busy because I make it so. I fill my time, too often, with vain pursuits and selfish ambitions. I do not actively pursue the kingdom and activities that Christ may have for me on a daily basis. Right now, I am busy about work. Three days back and I am already consumed with the tasks before me. Christ has taken a back seat to my pursuits and my daily challenges. How utterly selfish and self-focused.

"Lord, make me busy, not like the ant--going about his own work-but preoccupied with your work. Give me strength to daily seek your plan for my life. Help me to quiet my heart and listen for your voice to speak. "

So, I pose the same question to you: What are you busy about?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent thoughts. I've been thinking a lot about how I spend my time. Sometimes it seems a lot of my tasks are "put" on me outside of my will. Josh and I hope to revisit how we spend our time when we come back from vacation. For us, it takes constant evaluation.

I'm busy right now with work (my first "solo" show's coming up in Oct., family concerns on both sides (Josh's sister is getting married so it'll be busy until Christmas), gearing up for major work on our house before winter, Care Group, Worship Team/music, several freelance projects. Whew!

Thankfully, time in God's word is refreshing each day. I'm trying to ask Him what He wants for each day and let my own tasks fall by the wayside when needed. Sometimes I'm okay with that, other times it's a struggle. Most of all, I'm trying to focus more on people and less on tasks!

I'll be praying for you as school has started again!

Beth Young said...

I'm just really busy reading all your blogs so it's basically your fault. Right?

HA!

I'm busy because of too many things that take me away from Him. I am trying to be more consistent with rising early before my children to spend time in the Word.

Zoanna said...

Good post, Libby. I think busyness is a great cultural trap. Certainly can be a tool in the enemy's hand to keep us from simply being about our Father's business, which starts at HIs feet every morning. I've often thought about doing a time audit. The mere thought of it is convicting!
Thanks for the reminder, though. I know I haven't been busy enough praying for the lost. That's just a beginning!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I really needed to read that. (o: