Saturday, August 05, 2006

Cows


Today, Miguel and I had lunch at a restaurant called The Brown Cow. All of the meat is freshly butchered, the milk daily produced, and the ice cream homemade. Yummy! After eating lunch, we received an insiders tour of the 2,100 acre farm. Beautiful. Nick, and employee at the farm and a new friend of ours, drove us around the farm, detailing the daily events of the business. I was amazed to learn that it only takes TWO men to run the entire daily farm. I was also astonished to find out the following:

1. Female cows can be artificially inseminated.
2. Bulls can likewise be forced to donate sperm.
3. It takes over 50 lbs. of milk to make one fresh gallon.
4. If a cow moos, it is not happy.
5. A cow raised for its meat has to weigh between 1,200 and 1,600 pounds before it can be butchered.
6. The same cow gains roughly five pounds a day because they drink 60 gallons of water a day!

Hope you enjoyed the random cow facts as much I did! And if you ever get the opportunity, a meal at The Brown Cow is well worth the beautiful drive to get there. If for no other reason, go for the ice cream!! You'll never want to eat any other brand, not even Ben and Jerry's. I promise!

8 comments:

Sacha said...

How now, brown cow?

Anonymous said...

There have been many times I've watched my dad artificially inseminate cows while growing up (that sounds weird, but it's true). Actually, that's usually the way it done, to insure top milkers and good breeding. And buying sperm from a good bull is big money! It's all about the pedigree.

I love the Brown Cow, and Josh and I went there on one of our dates when we were courting! :)

Briana Almengor said...

The little pleasures of living in PA, huh! :) ISn't it great?!
Glad you enjoyed your time there and sounds like a good road trip for the Almengor clan sometime.

Kristin said...

Did you ask how prevalent cow tipping is up there?

Zoanna said...

Udderly amazing facts. I didn't realize how much water they drink. I sort of figured out that moo means not happy, because cows give you 'the look' when they moo. I love cows; my grandpa raised them all his life in Kansas and named them! Your review has moooved me to wannna take a day trip up to The Brown Cow.

Beth Young said...

I love the Brown Cow. My best friend Becky lives in Windsor and I go there at least once a month! You're new place is gorgeous. I LOVE the yellow sunroom. Great job!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. http://www.center-for-pain-relief-webster.info/dodgetccsolenoidlocation.html albany state basketball mascot http://www.cruise-lines-2.info Valtrex work time Types of area rugs used laptop software affiliate business download marketing Jeep jp-bags-s

Anonymous said...

What a great site free provider voip cheap phentermine malpractice and negligence law enforcement