Tuesday, February 09, 2010

in the kitchen.4

I feel like I make recipes all the time that call for ingredients that I do not have. Most recently, buttermilk (pancakes, cakes, etc). I don't think to buy it, and honestly don't like buying a large container of it, to only use a small portion. Inevitably, the rest would go bad. Buttermilk is one of those ingredients that are easy to make yourself.

Tip#3: Add 1T lemon juice to 1C milk (I use skim). Let sit for 10 minutes, stir, and you have buttermilk!




5 comments:

Vegan Burnout said...

Works with soy milk too! And you can use vinegar if you're out of lemon juice.

Danielle said...

I got this tip from you before and use it all the time too! Works great.

krista said...

I always do this for the same reason as you.

Another substitution tip:
If recipe calls for say 1 c. oil, substitute applesauce for half of it. I use it in my chocolate and carrot cakes. Ever so moist!

A girl who sees said...

Thanks!! I love substitutions for this kind of stuff - I definitely don't ever have buttermilk in my house!

Briana Almengor said...

That's how I always do my buttermilk; although, when I used to make buttermilk pancakes every Sat, I found a powdered buttermilk in the store that keeps for a lot longer than the cartons. You still have to keep it in the fridge and mix it w/ water, but it'll keep for a long time. I forget the brand that puts it out. It can be hard to find, but it does (or did) exist! :)