Saturday, December 13, 2008

between fear and faith

I vacillate easily, quickly, and unexpectedly between fear and faith. Fear of the unknown versus faith in the One who knows. Over the last five days, God has directed our steps down a path we never could have imagined. Miguel lost his job on Thursday, just two weeks after I handed in my resignation and a mere three weeks after the birth of our baby girl. My initial response was one of intense fear, followed by many tears and questions. Questions of "What" and "How" and "Why" fill my mind. What are we going to do without insurance and income? How are we going to pay our mortgage and other bills? Why would God time things in this manner?

The answers are not clear; the path appears rocky and scary. But, one answer resonates in my heart, "I am causing you to be dependent upon Me alone-for answers, for protection, for providence." Today, I have faith in that calling. Tomorrow, I might not. Yes, my faith is weak and my fear is great. But my prayer is that, against all hope, I will believe, like Abraham, that He who promised is faithful.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Libby. I'll be praying for you & your new family! I'm not one that trusts the Lord easily...although I should as he has always "proven" himself. Continue to trust him and pray...love you! Laura

Unknown said...

Continuing in my prayers for you guys! I know God will use this time to show you more of himself. BTW, I was thinking of you as I was reading from Lydia Brownback's little devotional, "Trust". Would you like to borrow it? I can bring it Friday. It's so perfect for your situation, I can't help to think God brought you to my mind. Also, it's the perfect length for a new mom to handle with her limited time! Just let me know! Love you!

Anonymous said...

That was me above!

Becoming a Morrison said...

Bill & I will be praying for you guys...

krista said...

Wow...

I am reminded of the sheer desperation we felt this summer when a "financial crisis", one SO much bigger than ourselves, suddenly came out of nowhere. All I can say is try to remember God's faithfulness to you in the past, whenever those lies of the enemy present themselves combat them with the Truth, and continue to cry out to your Father...and we all will be praying. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

you and miguel and darling isabel are in jim's and my thoughts and prayers. if you need anything material or emotional, just give me a call. i love you!

Lory said...

I'm praying for you, friend.

Melodye said...

Ahhh, Libby, darling. I have been praying for you, Miguel, and Isabel earnestly the past few days but didn't know why. Now I know why. God IS faithful! Love you, Momma O.

Dawn W said...

You've been on my mind and in my prayers continuously for the past week. My pastor's sermon on Sunday talked about God's favor...that's what will be with you in this season and it really will just be a season (it may not seem like that...but it will be).

LisaN said...

I can really relate to this post, Libby, as Dave and I were both out of work for several months during the middle of my pregnancy. Like I am certain the Lord will do for you, a new job was provided for my husband just recently, and though circumstances were unclear and even downright scary for longer than I thought I could handle it, our situation now is better than I would have imagined. I know the Lord has GOOD PLANS in mind for you and your husband and your little girl! Tie a knot in your rope and hang on tightly to Him, as you are doing. He will not fail you!

Anonymous said...

Lib, Last summer I worked for a recruiting agency for construction workers. I could pass Miguel's resume on to them if you would like. I'm not sure what jobs they are trying to fill now, but I'm sure there is something out there! Let me know :) We've been praying! Love, Laura

Kelley Murphy said...

I know exactly how you feel. I recommend Psalm 37, especially vs. 5: "I have never seen the righteous forsaken, or their children begging for bread." Praying for you guys.

Zoanna said...

I, too, have been praying for you guys. To us this is HUGE crisis; to God, they're all the same size.
Praying for your faith to be bigger than the crisis you see.