Saturday, November 08, 2008

Anxiety

Last night, I woke up around 3:00am, and could not fall sleep again. I wasn't uncomfortable; I wasn't having contractions. I just felt like Martha, "worried" about many things. I woke Miguel, asked him to pray for me, and as he was praying this familiar verse came to mind:

Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Even when feeling anxious and worried, I am called to pray with thanksgiving. Despite my worries, there are always immense blessings being poured out. What am I focusing on-my self-sufficiency which only leads to fear or God's amazing goodness and kindness to me? I am realizing that my focus during the last few weeks has become so inward that I have been unable to pray with thanksgiving. I have therefore forfeited the peace of God which promises to guard my heart and mind from anxiety.

What is troubling your heart? Have you taken hold of this promise? Pray with thanksgiving and you will find a peace that surpasses all understanding! It will guard your heart and your mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that verse for the very reason you point out! When tempted to worry, give thanks instead! Soon I'll see that there's not much I should be worried about after all, for God's always provided.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, by the way.

Zoanna said...

I was thinking of this verse the other day when troubled over not being able to understand something. God gave me an insight I'd never had before on this familiar verse. I think I'll post about it rather than eat up your comment box. Please don't take it as a copycat post. I should've posted when it was on my mind, but it left my mind till I just now read yours.

krista said...

Thank you for posting this...I've been having some Martha moments too and forgetting to remind myself of the Truth I've experienced again and again--God is ALWAYS good, faithful, and trustworthy. His peace truly DOES surpass all else!