Saturday, September 22, 2007

7 Things...

...your dog shouldn't eat:
1. Chocolate-3 oz of dark or 7 oz of milk could kill your dog.
2. Alcohol-even a small amount could give send your dog into a coma.
3. Grapes-cause renal failure, but not sure why
4. Coffee-Raises a dog's heart rate and triggers seizures (hm, sounds like some PEOPLE I know!)
5. Macadamia nuts-even a few can cause tremors or paralysis in a dog's hind legs.
6. Garlic and unions-break down a dog's red blood cells and cause kidney failure

Amazing what one can learn while reading! The crazy tidbits were discovered while browsing "National Geographic Magazine." Thanks to my granny, I now have a monthly subscription. I have officially gone from book lover to book nerd.

9 comments:

Zoanna said...

Guess I'll stop taking our Molly to the bar with me Saturday nights. She was getting overly fond of the Pinot Grigio anyway.

Anonymous said...

So, Rocky has to cut out the Margaritas. Chips and Salsa still okay?

Anonymous said...

Strange how things change. Several years ago, I would have guessed that you would be USING this list, and now YOU have a dog. I'm glad you have a more tender heard towards the canines (sp?) :)

Libby said...

NO Salsa Beth--no onions or garlic! ha

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think our dog has had at least 5 of those things, including a WHOLE chocolate cake. It's amazing she's still alive.

Anonymous said...

So everyday I am nearly killing my son when I let him drink the milk from my cereal bowl! Oops! And we use to give him grapes all of the time-then my parents called me in a panic telling me not to feed them to him anymore! Thanks for the tips and Hurley thanks you too!

A girl who sees said...

That's pretty crazy. Our dogs have definitely had more chocolate than that though. So weird.

Zoanna said...

Our vet said a dog has to ingest a LOT of chocolate to get really sick, and it's rarely lethal. When we first got Molly as a rescue, she was a counter-surfer. I wasn't used to that, and left a 10-inch round chocolate cake out before we all went out for the evening.Came home, it was gone, dog was fine, but we called vet anyway. Not to worry, it wasn't a big deal.

Nancy said...

Our collie when she was around 12 years old ate an entire fruit cake that someone had given us for Christmas. It was triple wrapped in foil....and under our Christmas tree. She did it very neatly without leaving a mess. In fact, we didn't see what she did until we began to open presents.

It did explain why she vomited all evening one night. And I thought she was just having sympathy morning sickness. I was about 3 months pregnant with Beth (Jacobs) Young.

I like your web page Dibbs. Tell your folks hi.

love,

Nancy Jacobs