Friday, July 27, 2007

Adventures in Cooking

Admittedly, I am not a fantastic cook, and I am more than FAR from being a great baker. In fact, I rarely bake; it scares me. This summer, I decided that I would make at least one new recipe each week to broaden my horizons. I scoured all of my cookbooks, categorized recipes by protein, and made lists of recipes that sounded good. Slowly, I've been making my way through the lists.

This week, I attempted two new recipes. Thursday, I made whole wheat crepes for dinner. I love breakfast for dinner! I've made crepes before, but this was a new recipe, including using ricotta cheese as filling. Needless to say, the crepes themselves were a disaster. They didn't flip well (I need to learn to flip things without a spatula like I see all the t.v. chefs do!). By the time I was finished, I had about a million crepe pieces piled on the plate. We made do. Another brilliant meal by me!

Then, last night, I made a Chocolate Covered Mango and Vanilla Ice Cream Bombe. Boy was that an adventure! It included pureeing mango to blend with ice cream, five hours of freezer time (running up and down stairs to get to the deep freezer in between layering ingredients), and one frantic call to a dear friend (Em C.) asking how to fix my clumpy, separated ganache (put it in the blender!). Coincidentally, Em was making the SAME dessert last night! Bet hers wasn't such an adventure! =/ And here were my final and exhausting results:

The second picture doesn't quite capture the layers. My knife was no longer clean during cutting, so the layers ran together. But, if you click on the above link, you'll see what it should look like ala Take Home Chef.

Not gorgeous, but delicious. Next time, I am going to try different ice cream flavors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, you are brave with that ice cream recipe! It sounds delicious though! I guess it was worth all the work if you plan on making it again! I love mango, I'll have to give it a try.

Zoanna said...

I'm impressed that you tried. That's half the victory in the kitchen right there! I would gladly try a sampling of either one, regardless of looks. But they look good to me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lib! As we were unpacking boxes this past weekend, I found a picture frame that you had given me a few years ago. It has a pic of us when we were like 6 in it! It's so cute :) Anyway, we bought a cream microfiber sectional-it's super cute! We wanted brown leather, but it would've been too dark in our living room-dark, pergo floors with burnt orange paint. So we went with cream! We really should get together before we head back to school-I'll give you a call next week, once things settle down here! Love ya, Laura

Anonymous said...

Libby, I feel very similar to you with cooking. I'm not a good baker, in fact, it's kind of a joke in the house. I'm an "ok" cook. but I try!