Thursday, September 08, 2005

Quiet Voice

I have never said, "Shhh, quiet voice," as many times as I did today! Adelaida, one of my youngest and smallest students, has a tendency to use her inside voice when she's outside and her outside voice when she's inside! The majority of our day today was spent by raising our index finger to our lips and shooshing her. It ended up being a game. Not really a fun game, but a game none the less! She would scream. We would shhh...she would scream louder...we would shooosh. After a while, I broke down laughing. She had to know it was a game. And she played it well! I think Adelaida just wanted to see me looking silly with my "quiet voice" stern face and my shooshing finger at my lips! During OT, the game continued. All the OT could say was, "Libby, You're going to make a great mother!" (Secretly, I think she feels sorry for me and all the shooshing I have to do!)

Besides her rather loud voice, Adelaida is a magnificent signer. She can ask, in a full sentence, for cookies, pretzels and anything else her little heart desires. She is beginning to use sign language to interact with her peers and people in the community! This is my baby who comes from a Spanish speaking home and had NO language when she came to me last year! Amazing! I love my kids.

1 comment:

Zoanna said...

Tri-lingual. Truly amazing. One of the things about heaven is that I'll understand sign language even though we won't need it. It'll put new meaning to "signs and wonders."