Saturday, September 24, 2005

For My Sister

Sacha went apple picking today in New England. If I had've been with her, my apples would have been used in this recipe:

Jewish Apple Cake

Ingredients
4 lg Apples--Granny Smith or Red Delicious are my favorites-you can use more apples if you'd like
2 tsp. Cinnamon
5 T. Sugar

3 c. Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 c. Sugar
1 c. Oil
4 Eggs
3 tsp. Baking Powder
2 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 c. Orange Juice (the secret ingredient!!)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel, core and slice apples. I like mine sliced thinly and cut into one inch pieces.
Combine first three ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
Let sit while combining remaining ingredients in another bowl.

Pour about a one inch layer of the batter into a tube pan.
Place the cinnamon sugar apples in a thin layer over the batter. Make sure the batter is covered, but not too thickly or the cake will stay raw.
Continue to alternate layers until all of the apples and batter are gone. If you end with apples, they may brown or even burn. Be careful!

Bake for 1 3/4 hours. At times, I've needed to add another 20 or so minutes to bake time.

***Sacha, let me know how it turns out! =)

7 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

This sounds really yummy!! I'm going to have to try it sometime!

Danielle said...

Hmm, one of my favorite autumn cakes!

Sacha said...

Thank soo much! I will probably make it tomorrow or Monday, so I'll let you know then!
Thanks Lib. I love you!

Kristin said...

So is this the place where we place our orders?!

Anonymous said...

Or maybe make it for me!!!????

Sacha said...

OK OK. I made it, but some how it STILL isn't as good as your's. But it isn't bad.

Laurie said...

I'll be making this for sure at some point this Autumn! Thanks for the recipe. I love Jewish Apple Cake, but don't have a tried and true recipe for one. I'll try yours!