Friday, July 10, 2009

summer

As a kid, I spent many long hours at the Harford Square Pool. There were play dates, and swim lessons with Mr. Norm, and push-pops from the snack bar, and yearly swim tests, and cannonballs off the diving board. I was never a great swimmer, nor did I learn to touch the bottom of the pool. I didn't have a ton of neighborhood friends, and was only allowed one snack. But I don't remember those things so much. They weren't important at the time, and aren't now. I can still hear the carefree laughter, feel the warmth of the sun, and see the smiles, even after twenty years.

As I splashed in the pool yesterday, I had this overwhelming desire to ensure that Isabel grow up with those very same experiences. Perhaps it won't be Mr. Norm teaching her to swim. And perhaps she will prefer strawberry shortcake Good Humor bars. It really doesn't matter. I want my daughter to have vivid memories of her childhood, giggling and splashing away the summer hours.

What memories do you have of your childhood summers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby-I talk about the same memories all of the time! We had such great summers in Harford Square! There was ALWAYS someone at the pool to play with and make great memories. I loved spending every day at the pool and every adult swim in the shower with 10 others girls :)

I also remember playing soccer in the "field" in front of your house and your neighbor stealing my brand new soccer ball because it went in their yard :(

What a wonderful neighborhood we lived in and I, too, want Annabelle to have wonderful memories of her childhood.
xo, Laura

krista said...

Backyard wiffleball games, running barefoot through the cool grass after dark catching lightning bugs, climbing trees, and family campouts. Those things spell summer in my book.