Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Children

Within the past two four days, I have received some absolutely wonderful news and news that outwardly appears to be devastating. Both have to do with children. First, I found out that I am going to be aunt!!!! Erika and Aaron are pregnant with their first child, due sometime in December I believe! =) Second, many of you have already heard, but Emily and James Haughery's daughter, Alivia, has been undergoing serious medical testing to determine which type of lukemia she has. Alivia is only a year old. Please visit her blog (see my links) and hold her up in prayer! Emily and James are desperate for our prayers on their behalf.

With the first bit of news, my heart immediately said, "I want a baby." With the second bit of news, my heart just as quickly said, "Lord, it's just too risky." The pain of seeing a loved one sick is, at times, unbearable. How much moreso would it be with my own baby?

God faithfully spoke to my heart. There will be joy and suffering in motherhood. I cannot control the extent of either. I am called to one thing, and one thing only. Trust. Trust in a faithful, sovereign God who blatantly reveals that children are a blessing to be desired. He does not say desire the blessing only when you know things will go smoothly. He does not say desire the blessing on if the child will be healthy and without physical blemish. He simply calls me to trust in His loving hand.

Fear has no place in the life of a believer, which means, fear has no place in my life in the area of children. Lord, help me to view you as a sovereign God. One who gives as He sees fit and right. Help me to praise you, despite my circumstances--present or future.

4 comments:

Zoanna said...

Libby, I read all of Emily's April posts after reading this. Thanks for letting us know. What a hard thing. How do you know her and James? I commented on her blog that I'm praying for her and said if she wants something mailed to her from these parts, just say so. I think if I was in PA, I would want a crab cake, but not sure I'd request it via mail. :) Anyway, congrats on the news of awaiting aunthood. For a sec I thought Sacha was pregnant, but then I grabbed the next line. I forget sometimes you have Barowski kin. Odd, huh?

Libby said...

Emily and James are part of a Sovereign Grace church in PA. Briana is good friends with Emily and my dad is friends with Alivia's grandparents. I don't know Emily and James well, but have only met them a few times over the past years.

Another CLOSE friend thought that Sacha was the one who was going to make me an aunt! Scary! ;-)

Briana Almengor said...

SO good of God to already be making you mindful to a common temptation as a momma: fear! Boy, does it strike often and long at times in the Almengor household.
But, if there's anyone who can attest to the kindness and mercy of God, it's us.

Thanks for providing links to Em's website. I posted a bit about them at Judah's blog this week, too. I am so blessed to see how God is more than meeting their need for prayer and encouragement and help through this time when I have to remain at a distance. (Tucker has had a fever 3 days this week).

Danielle said...

Good thoughts, Lib, for us future moms! I'm sorry to hear about the trials your friend is going through, but am happy to hear about Ericka and Aaron!