Thursday, November 17, 2005

Easy Pesto

Lately, we've been making our own paninis for dinner. Forget Panera, here come the Barowski's ;-) In all seriousness, we have been making paninis and adding this incredible pesto sauce for a nice zing. Here is the quick and easy recipe for the pesto and paninis.

In a blender, combine the following:

3/4 cups of fresh basil (or five or six hard shakes of dried basil--don't know how much!)
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
>1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup pine nuts (or a handful of walnuts--because we don't have pine nuts)
1 clove of garlic

Add all ingredients in a blender. Blend three minutes or until smooth.

To make Paninis:

One chicken breast cut thinly, grilled.
onions, raw, thinly sliced
sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
2 slices of bread
Pesto

Spread pesto on one side of the bread. Add chicken, onions and cheese on top. Place other side of bread on top of cheese.

We use an indoor grill/George foreman to grill the panini for three minutes. I suppose you could use a buttered griddle as well!

This panini goes wonderfully with soup, especially on brisk evenings like tonight!

4 comments:

Abi said...

Hi Libby! I just recently ran into your blogspot (I think you told me about it this summer and I know I looked at it once or twice then, but forgot the address - sorry!) again, and decided to start one of my own up for various reasonns. It doesn't have much on it yet, but you're welcome to check it out...Anyways fun to read some of your posts about the kids and remember all the fun stories! Take care and talk to you soon.

Danielle said...

Good idea! I recently thought about making my own paninis but hadn't actually tried. Now I'll have to use your recipe and give it a whirl!

Laurie said...

I am definitely going to try this. I love Panera, and try to re-create their stuff all of the time. I went through a turkey artichoke sandwich phase last year. Thanks for passing it on.

Zoanna said...

Love it. This is what I wanted tonight w/ a bowl of broccoli cheddar at Panera, but ended up at Cracker Barrel instead. I will certainly give this a try! Thanks. Sounds delicious.

Laurie, how did you make your turkey/artichoke sammy?