Wednesday, November 11, 2009

coming to terms

Messes used to make me cringe. I'd get the heebie geebies when I saw my carpets strewn with babies, blocks, and books. When Isabel first started "getting into" things, I would follow closely behind her. Putting away the books as she moved on to the blocks. But, as soon as the books were put away she was through with the blocks and back to the books. You know the drill. I spent all day: books put away, blocks cleaned up, books re-sorted, blocks neatly stacked. Then she discovered toilet paper, and I thought it was cute. She'd pull off one little square and eat it. So cute, right? Then she realized she could keep pulling, and pulling, and pulling...After most of the paper was on the floor, I would wind the entire roll back around the tube.

I was driving myself insane, all in the name of keeping a neat, organized home. Then, last week, I had a revelation of sorts. Why not save the mental and physical energy during the day and do one big clean up after Isabel is in bed for the night. Wow, earth-shattering.

I have learned to be OK with this (at least for the 12 hours Isabel is awake):

And this (quite possibly until she grows out of this phase):
Now, I have *huge* reserves of energy for things like reading and watching t.v. once she's safely tucked in bed, unable to destroy my house until tomorrow.

5 comments:

Vegan Burnout said...

I wish someone followed me around to clean up my messes. I need a nanny! Or a mom like you, Lib. :)

Danielle said...

Good for you! Not sure if I've come to terms with messes myself! :)

zz said...

May I just say, "Ah." Love it when moms comes to terms with real life.
What you have probably discovered is that you can probably limit the number of things in each category (five books, four babies, ten blocks) she can get to at any one time. But not to fret, "play is a child's work." My kids have always "worked hard"!

A girl who sees said...

It's so true!! We've done the same thing - although I usually clean up before naps too - just because he kind of gets the idea that he's done playing and it's time to go to bed. Not to mention the small amount of living space we have around here!

Anonymous said...

I can relate. We put toys away twice a day - before naptime and before bedtime. That way, at least for a chunk of the day while it's naptime, I can cross the room without stepping on legos!

Julia