Sunday, August 16, 2009

Move over...

Jodi Piccoult. You've met your match in James Patterson. While neither are fantastic authors-I deem them both "beach reads." Both authors have mastered the Plot Twist. Jodi Piccoult's are guaranteed to leave your jaw on the floor. But, after reading Beach Road, by James Patterson, I wonder who the master Plot Twister truly is. The book seemed straightforward. A murder. A trial. A happy ending. The End. Right?? Wrong. In the last chapters, the entire story was turned upside down, and left me asking, "Is this for real??!" It was the twist of all twists-unpredictable, unanticipated, and just plain wrong. Beach Road certainly did not end how I scripted it, but it did entertain. And from a "bead read," what more could I really ask? Thank you, James Patterson, for taking over the spot as top J.P. in my book.

7 comments:

laurie said...

thanks...i'm always looking for something new/different to read.

Anonymous said...

I'll write that title/author down. Although I'm still in my P.D. James phase. And I just read "Home" by Marilynne Robinson. Very good, although I one should only read it after reading "Gilead" and it's very literary in style. Not to be read for plot twists. :)

Unknown said...

Ahhh...my two favorite authors!!

krista said...

Will have to write this one down. Thanks for the suggestion and review!

Am currently reading "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See (remember "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan"? Same author.) So far it's intriguing but disturbing. The jury's still out as to whether I like it.

krista said...

Oh, and I've got "My Sister's Keeper" waiting in the wings...and my library deadline is approaching. ;o)

A girl who sees said...

I just finished "My Sister's Keeper" - craziness!! Excellent read - but prepare the tissues!

Melodye said...

I definitely have to read this one... I like J. Patterson! I haven't really gotten into Jodi Picoult's books. I like plot twists, not too graphic, but strong characters.