Thursday, May 07, 2009

"ah ha"

Ever had one of those moments. The ones where it just "clicks" and you get it. All the questions are answered, the confusion is gone, and "Ah Ha!"--you know. I had one of those moments this week.

Isabel is a SLOW bottle drinker. Some days it would take her more than 45 minutes to drink 5 ounces. It was to the point that we really hated giving her bottles! The other day, Miguel defrosted some milk and it was therefore warm. She drank it down in about 2 minutes. We realized, duh, that we'd been giving her cold and/or not-so-warm milk. Some babies don't mind, but obviously she was trying to tell us something. She HATES cold milk. Now we heat the bottles, and like magic, she slurps it down in under 5. That's my girl.

What "Ah Ha" moments have you had lately? Any that will spare me months of parenting torture?!

5 comments:

Karen said...

that toddlers can and will climb up dressers. make sure that there bedroom furniture is BOLTED to the wall. sigh, Malachy decided that his dresser was better suited as a staircase than as a place to hold his clothes. Poor thing pulled the dresser on top of himself. luckily he wasn't hurt too badly, just scared himself and me!

Elisa Melani said...

I had to warm the bottle for all the girls. When they transitioned to cows milk I had to warm that until they adjusted to it cold.

Briana Almengor said...

I warmed my boys' sippies what seemed like forever. Bella came along and no more of that for any of them. :)

The other thing you may want to keep in mind if you haven't already passed this "milestone" is to switch to the fast flow nipples for her bottles. That will help to get it down faster, too..when she's ready for that fast of a flow. She may already be, though. I think we did it around 4 or 5 months.

zz said...

Ditto what Briana saida about ff nipples. And remember that ANY person (no matter if she's 4 months, 4 years, or 40 WILL eat almost anything any temperature if they are truly, truly hungry. You can't starve a child unless you withhold it forever. Every kid will try to make you think otherwise.

If you always give in to their pickiness (food, clothing, hair, or otherwsise) when they're young, you'll make brats of them for life, which can be a real pain. Catering to too much too long on food or anything is a set-up for parental (and grandparental and babysitter and teacher) torture. That said, I would set a limit on how long you will continue to warm her bottle. I wouldn't do it longer than I'd breastfeed a child, but that's me (and for the record, that was a loooooooong time!). I am not saying do all the choosing for them but don't get in the habit of letting them have too many choices. I let Joel do that and am back-pedaling. I didn't do it with the first three and none of them have thought the world should cater to them. (Just my "baby" acts that way and I take at least half the blame.)

Anonymous said...

Lib-I am sure I have had an "ah ha" moment, but I can't think of any now! But yes, warm her bottle-especially since she is used to it warm since you nurse her. Just gradually lessen the amount of time you warm it and then she'll get used to it. I miss you & Isabel! I'm home from FL now, what are your plans for the next couple of weeks? I'm free next Friday or the following Monday or Friday! Give kisses to Isabel xoxo
Laura
Oh, you are an amazing mom :)