Sunday, November 11, 2007

Nov.


I forgot to post my book club's reading for the month of November. We are reading (some of us have already finished) another non-fiction memoir. A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah, is the story of a young boy, caught in the violent civil war in Sierra Leone during the '90s. Survival meant fighting. And not fighting as we may think. But fighting in all of its violent and gruesome aspects. After years of wandering, pillaging and murdering, Ishmael is saved by a government organization, rehabilitated, and then sent to America to live. In A Long Way Gone, Ishmael details his personal struggles and triumphs as he desperately attempts to regain his life and childhood. Beah's memoir was riveting and made me grateful for the safety and security we know in this country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard this was a good book! Let me know how it is, I'll base my purchase on your recommendation alone! No pressure...

Anonymous said...

Lib, no pregnant pics here...i just look like i have a fat roll ;) jk..I do need to start taking some! I'll have Jer take some this week for your enjoyment :) Laura xoxo