Thursday, October 25, 2007

"God Grew Tired of Us"

Miguel and I are members of Blockbuster On-Line. It's Blockbuster's version of Netflix. We don't watch a ton of movies, but the $10.99 price tag for unlimited movies makes it worth our while. All that to say, I watched a fantastic documentary this week. To be honest, I wasn't aware it was a documentary, and probably would not have put it in my queue if I would've know!

And, I would have missed out on a phenomenal film. "God Grew Tired of Us" is a beautiful and moving film. National Geographic follows the story of three men born in Sudan during a time of intense civil war. These boys, "the lost boys," as they called themselves, were part of 27,000 boys who walked over 1,000 miles to safety and freedom. Upon entering adulthood, these three men were offered the opportunity to move to the United States to live, work, and play.

The film made me laugh: Imagine all of the "new" experiences that tribal people would have upon entering an airport in America. Escalators can be quite scary, I'm sure!

The film made me cry from sadness: Images of children literally wasting away from lack of food.

The film made me cry from joy: A man reunited with the mother he had not seen or known since he was 5 years old.

Have you watched an other great "unknown" flicks lately?

3 comments:

Zoanna said...

Sounds like one I'll watch.

Anonymous said...

I've heard this is very good.

No, I haven't seen any good films period. Besides my "Chocolat" viewing, which I've seen many times, the last three films were stupid, vulgar, and dull, in that order!

Anonymous said...

I had heard about that movie and thought it sounded good too. Now I'm really interested and going to try and track it down and find time to watch it. Another movie that I want to see that you may enjoy is "Ushpizin". My family watched it and liked it so much that my mom recently got the DVD. Here's the link: http://www.ushpizin.com/home.html