Thursday, June 28, 2007

Relaxing??!

In high school, I remember John Pirog teaching us to pray dangerous prayers. You know, those prayers that you desperately want to pray, but fear God may just answer!! And He usually does. The ones where you beg Him to teach you patience, and He lets you sit in the longest line at the grocery store as the little old lady counts out her pennies to the cashier??

This weekend, I began our trip to the beach with a dangerous prayer. I asked the Lord to calm my spirit, make me laid-back and unaware of time. I didn't want to worry about our schedule and the things I desired to see happen from minute to minute.

A little synopsis of our weekend: We went with another couple and their two kids. The mom and two kids all got pink eye in both eyes. The second night, the son hit his head on a moving ceiling fan and had to get 7 stitches. The third night, the stitches broke open and the wound began to bleed again. Back to the emergency room. All the while, the kids fought; the parents argued and Miguel and I had no choice BUT to sit back and watch.

After arriving home, my aunt called to say that several items in her place had been broken and/or gone missing. Meaning, this vacation went from horrible to horrific. Miguel and I both admit that this was perhaps the worst vacatation we have EVER taken. But, through it all, God faithfully answered my dangerous prayer. I was able to remain calm and laid back about our time there (not so calm about the broken/missing items). We interceeded on our friends' behalf and truly felt this vacation was just a part of His sovereign plan in drawing them to Himself.

I have one more vacation to look forward to in August, and pray that He uses more gentle means to calm me and my uptight spirit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you pray for! I prayed that prayer for my life and got TWINS! :)

Sorry things were so crazy (especially about the stuff broken/missing at your aunt's) but am glad you're seeing a redeeming purpose for it in your life.