Sunday, November 05, 2006

Letter of Resignation

First, let me say that today's message at church was incredibly timely. I was reminded that I am called and commanded to honor my boss until the very end of my journey at Kennedy. When and if she decides to strike low blows and fight an unfair fight, I am called to respond in love, honor, and obedience. I am NOT called to slander her or discuss my private issues with all of my co-workers.

With that said, on to the story of my resignation....

My letter was short and to the point. "After four years of service, it is time to resign from my position, yada yada..." When I walked into my boss' office, I was not quite prepared to initiate the conversation. Instead of telling her why I was there, I put my letter on her desk and then teared up. Her exact words were, "OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS??!" I calmly and rationally began to explain that I was giving my two weeks' notice and would not be finishing the school year at Lois T. Murray.

She was speechless and then began to calmly, yet decisively, make statements which were intended to inflict guilt, hurt, and remorse for my decision. Funny, because each accusation she made was true. I had thought through every single angle she threw at me. My decision was not made lightly, and I knew what her words and thoughts would be. I had a co-worker, also a member at my church, quit last year. When he quit, hurtful and untrue comments were made about him. I walked into her office, knowing that my character and ethics would be under attack.

God graciously armed me--through scripture and the prayers of dear friends and co-workers--to walk in faith and not in fear. Sure, I was scared to death, but my biggest comfort came in the knowledge of the fact that God had and will continue to, give me a spirit of power, love, and a sound-mind.

Last Thursday, I did one of the hardest things I have ever done, and pray will ever do (not likely!). I resigned from a job that I love immensely and will dearly miss. I resigned from a job in which I am terrified of my boss in situations like this. I resigned from a job in which fear was the main factor holding me there. I resigned from a job that God has used to build my faith and to reveal His goodness and greatness to me. And as I continue to look forward, I realize that God is giving me the opportunity to honor, respect, and obey a new boss--who may question my character, or even make statements about me or to me that are untrue and hurtful. Yet I know that God is my vindicator. He is going before me and will protect my reputation as one of His dear children.

4 comments:

Zoanna said...

Whew, Lib. I can feel the tension and the grace in what you went through. I'm sorry about the "fear factor" that was so huge. Fear is never a good long-term motivator, so I am glad, for your sake, that you are out from under that boss. I am sorry that the kids are losing such a loving, giving teacher so soon. But you know God will provide for them also. I pray the next two weeks will be meaningful and easier than you expected.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for your next couple of weeks. I'm sure at times it'll be trying. Although I'm sure you'd have rather made the transition at some other point than mid-year, the opportunity is now and God has provided you with a great opportunity. You've been a responsible teacher up to this point and can't stay at a job simply due to guilt inflicted by your boss. Stay strong knowing you're making the right decision after prayer and much consideration!

Karen Hevesy said...

I see this situation as a gift given by God to show you what the world has to offer. You may have worked for an earthly master but you are right to keep your eye on your "true boss." She can say whatever she wants about you, your job is to honor her. Hang tough and remember, if God is for us, who can be against us? Congratulations on your new job.

Hope said...

Hey Libby,

God is utterly amazing. Now, in light of the upcoming message on spiritual armor, I can see that you had prepared your heart and your body for battle with your Hopkins boss.

Ephesians 6 - Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

I praise God for growing you in this way. Really, with God as our defense, we cannot lose! AMEN!!!