Thursday, August 11, 2005

Favorite Memories

Last night, Miguel and I had dinner with my dad, my sister, and two of my dad's coworkers. We decided to meet in Annapolis for Sushi. I love Annapolis and was overly excited to spend the evening in our state's capital. The drive down was silly and relaxing. We all drove together and discussed everything from Kristin's poem on her blog, to Amanda's job adventures, to silly little kid knock-knock jokes (thank you Sacha). The frequent comment of the evening was "Is this a game?" as Sacha tried to ask questions that were in no real need of answers. I love my family.

My dad treated us to a wonderful meal of various types of sushi. It turns out that Miguel enjoyed the sushi as much as I did. Last time we had sushi, he painstakingly ate a few pieces and refused to continue. The textures were too much for him. However, last night, he found a new love--shrimp in any form--rolls, sashimi, rolls, rolls. After dinner we walked down to Ben and Jerry's, my favorite ice cream in the world. To my delight and surprise, the Ben and Jerry's store has a plethora of choices, never before seen by my eyes. What to choose? Caramel Chunk Crunch? Straw Berry Grahm? Oatmeal Cookie dough? Ohmygoodness. Since my ice cream tastes are much broader than any other food tastes, I decided to go with a waffle cone and two different flavors. No problem, I handled it like a pro.

We parted ways with our dinner dates. They went home to take care of their Great Dane. We all decided that the beautiful evening called for a leisurely walk around the Annapolis Harbor. There were people everywhere. Young families with little kids screaming. Newlyweds on their honeymoon (at least that's what I overheard). Pregnant ladies enjoying a relaxing evening with their husbands on their boat. Tourists feeding the numerous ducks as they waddled by. And us. Miguel and I arm in arm. Sacha and Dad walking sometimes behind us, sometimes in front. It didn't matter. Last night, all I knew was that the love of my life was right next to me. He drew me closer and closer as we walked through the crowded streets. He placed his arm around me and squeezed. As the sun set in radiant reds, oranges and purples, I stopped and realized that through the clamor and happenings of the city, the wonderful man next to me was mine, all mine.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

What a lovely evening to enjoy with family and your love :) It's wonderful to just sit back and marvel sometimes, isn't it.

Zoanna said...

Aw that's so sweeeeet! I got this funny image, though, of people feeding the numerous pregnant ladies as THEY waddled by!

Kristin said...

i'm gushing...

Anonymous said...

It really was a nice evening with family and new-found friends. Even the sushi was good! But what a huge serving of MUSH! I love you guys.

Briana Almengor said...

Sushi and Ben & Jerry's sounds like a combination sure to turn my stomach. But, I'd take it if it meant an evening walking arm in arm w/ my hubby. Glad ya'll are creating such fond newlywed memories. You'll cherish looking back on them some day (like when the twins come and you'd kill for a night out :) :) :)