Sunday, December 04, 2005

Another Restaurant Review

Saturday night was an adventure. From start to finish. It was girl's night out. Emily Connell, Emily Sleeman, Kristin Schaub and I headed downtown Fells to spend time together fellowshipping (and eating, of course!). We arrived downtown and found a parking spot more easily than expected. We began walking towards the restaurant, when one of us (ME) was unsure of our directions. SO, we asked a kind, but not so bright, shop owner where we should be headed. She sent us in the opposite direction. Away we walked. As the shops, pubs, and restaurant began to fade, we realized we were headed in the WRONG direction. So we called the restaurant and they sent us back in our original direction. Success. We were led up a flight of stair, into a gorgeous old building on Thames Street. Kali's Court and Mezze, to be exact. (Check out the City Paper review.)

There are two restaurant linked together--Kali's Court and Mezze. We accidentally entered through the wrong entrance, but were taken through to Mezze. It was quite confusing, but worth the race through the maze. It seemed that Kali's court was a more upscale restaurant, while Mezze was a more relaxed, "fun" place to eat. However, we ate upstairs in a beautiful, comfortable, dimly lit room with a total of seven tables. The perfect atmosphere for fellowship and fun. I would be sure to ask for a table in the upstairs room if you ever plan to eat at Mezze--if you want a more romantic, quiet atmosphere.

Mezze is famed for its Tapas (small plate) style, Mediterranean food. We each ordered two different entrees, well, Emily and I each ordered three. As they brought out the plates, we shared the amazingly prepared and displayed items. "There is no other way I'd rather share germs," said Emily Sleeman. And it was true. We all sampled the various foods, having seconds of some and passing on others.

The group consensus was that the salmon was incredible, the spinach fritters were divine (don't listen to Kris' opinions!), and the tuna was succulent, though raw--a warning for those who have a weak stomach. We also sampled baked mussels, braised lamb, quail (definitely the most nicely presented item), shrimp raki, portabella mushrooms, baked eggplant (not a favorite even though I love eggplant), and chicken kabobs (for those less adventurous...ahem...Kris). The menu was extensive, and there are many more items that I would love to sample on my next outing to Mezze!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

WHAT?! Nobody told me the tuna was RAW!!!!!!!

Danielle said...

Kali's Court is awesome (and beautiful)! I ate there some years ago now. And nothing beats tapas! Hmmm! Sounds like you guys had fun!

Briana Almengor said...

What a city girl you are! I, on the other hand, am among the less adventurous type when it comes to food...basically, if it comes in chocolate, I'm sold!! :) Glad you enjoyed a girls' night out...get as many in now as you can, B.B. (before babies)

Briana Almengor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Briana Almengor said...

Trapsing through the Alps? Like Maria in SOund of Music? Are you secretly hoping to marry an Austrian musician turn military man who's bitter and estranged from his kids? I knew it! :) :)

Libby said...

Bri, that sounds like every girl's dream come true?! haha.

Anonymous said...

hey lib lib! i took your advice! thats not that fun to me, its a little gross actually! lol! but hey everyone has their hobbies!

Zoanna said...

So, Lib, did you FEEL the fritters?;)

Abi said...

Lib,
That was the ONE night that I wasn't at Bath and Body - I was there Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday...I realized that this week I'm working like 75 hours between both jobs - crazy. But thanks so much for the thought and I wish I had seen you! Did you buy anything fun? Email or call me and let me know when after Christmas you're free to hang out (preferably somewhere other than B&B!)