Friday, September 16, 2005

Escalators

I don't remember my first outing to the mall. But I wish I did. I am sure it was with my mom. Perhaps it was to look for new shoes for my ever growing feet, or maybe to buy her favorite Lilly of the Valley perfume from Crabtree and Evelyn. I don't remember. But I wish I did.

Simple firsts, like the mall, grocery store, and Target are memories that I've long forgotten. I take for granted my ability to quickly and regularly venture into the community and purchase items on my first fancy or whim. This past Tuesday, I realized that the simple pleasures in life, like visiting the mall, aren't so simple to some. The Pink and Yellow rooms ventured out on a big yellow bus to White Marsh Mall. We left promptly at 9:45, just in time to meet all of the elderly mall walkers and moms out for an early morning trip.

Our adventures began in the pet store. The workers were kind enough to bring out dogs, cats and bunnies. The kids loved it. Then on to new adventures. Two of my students discovered the escalators. Up, they begged. So up we went. Down, they giggled, so down we went. Lo and behold, a candy store at the bottom of the escalator. In we went. In went candy into their tiny mouths. The sign clearly read, "NO taste testing." Hmmm, my students can't read! I giggled, the store manager smiled. Out we went. No more candy store for us.

They sighted it. The escalator. Up, they frantically pointed. So up we went. Down, they pleaded. So down we went. Three more times, up and down, up and down, up and down. I have never heard my students laugh like that before. All I could do was smile and laugh with them. The simple joys of childhood are all too easily overlooked and too quickly forgotten.

I am not sure if my students will remember their trip to the mall that Tuesday morning. But I hope they do. I hope they remember the mounds of candy in the new candy store. The princesses in the Disney Store. And most importantly, the ten rides up and ten rides down the escalators. I am not sure if they will, or even can remember. But I hope they do.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

This is precious. So well written, girly. You are going to love having kids of your own. You get to experience all of those firsts, that you can't remember now, all over again. The most memorable so far, the ocean. Their little faces at the sight of the ocean for the first time are etched in my memory forever.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a great story. It's always great to view things through kids eyes...watching them experience something for the first time and witness the joy (or sometimes fear) it brings them. They are so filled with wonder and awe at many things we take for granted.

BTW...found my way here through A Penchant for Pens. I'll be back!

Zoanna said...

Libby, I am so glad you rode up and down, up and down the esclator with the kids. I have a feeling they WILL remember. I really think God gives the gift of memory to everyone in the sense that the best parts of our past are etched in our spirits. The details may get lost in the min because of age or disease, but the feelings remain. I imagine that in heaven God will have escalators prepared for those kids for whom it's a special delight. I imagine that when they are given their new bodies (complete w/ perfect communication skills) they will be able to tell you how special that day was on those up and down stairs.

Zoanna said...

That's "in the mind" not the min.

Libby said...

Zo, you made me cry! Thanks for reminding me of why I teach!

Sacha said...

Lib-
That is so great!!
I miss you like crazy, especially right now! Pray for me!
Sach

Danielle said...

Beautiful Lib. Your impact on those kids is profound, I'm sure. They'll not only remember escalators but their wonderful teacher too!

Anonymous said...

yeah--What they said! You have a gift for telling the stories with a heart filled with love and compassion for a very special group of kids who have a very special teacher. You do me and Mom proud! And I agree with Laurie--you are going to love having kids of your own and you'll be a really good Mom. I love you!